Saturday, April 14, 2018

OUGD602 - Week Placement #2: Utopia Productions

This week I completed a placement at Utopia Productions. Stu gave me a briefing on Monday and ran me through the work that he wanted me to complete throughout the week. The client was Origin - a corporate window production company based in the UK. He sent me their brand guidelines to use as reference and gave me two deliverables to produce. They were as follows:

 • A montage needs to produced using the footage taken. The brand colours should be incorporated in some way and the outcome should be roughly under 20 seconds in length, using fast paced transitions. Refer to the sent over video as inspiration.

• Produce text transitions for the three ‘Title’ screens 'Building for the Future', 'Design for Life' and 'Space to Grow'. Place the text over the footage given, also using the brand colours in some way.

Over the course of the week I experimented with a huge range of transitions and footage arrangements. The client was very picky with designs, which was slightly infuriating as small changes had to keep being made, which was very time consuming as videos had to then be re-exported and sent over to the client. However, I was very patient and professional and produced all the deliverables required. The outcomes that the client approved can be seen below:



This footage was used by Stu as part of the final Origin final cut.

Overall, I did not enjoy this placement as much as the one completed at Smith Dawson. I think that this was because the work produced is very corporate and restricted. I have learnt from this experience that corporate motion work is an area that I do not want to pursue further as I prefer completing motion work that is more challenging and creative.

Despite this, the placement was beneficial in working in an industry that I have never had experience in before. As Stu is predominantly a cameraman and editor I had to work closely with him. From doing so I got to see his process and learnt to work with someone who isn't a graphic designer. My communication skills have been strengthened by this placement as I had to constantly adapt to client feedback. I feel very confident speaking to clients and feel more than ready to go into industry after University. Stu was impressed by my work and has told me that he wants to get in touch when I am back from travelling to discuss some paid freelance work. Because of this I am going to stay in contact with Stu after University.

No comments:

Post a Comment