Saturday, March 10, 2018

OUGD602 - Week Placement #1: Smith Dawson


This week I completed a week placement at design agency Smith Dawson. Upon arrival Mark had a brief chat with me and I was allocated a seat with the rest of the design team.





Over the course of the week I was given a variety of projects to help with. The majority of work done was editing editorial layouts and making corrections to work that other people in the studio have done. As there are no motion designers in the team Mark gave me a much more substantial project to work on from Wednesday onwards. He briefed me to produce a range of videos that use the still AMI brands colours and logoshapes. Informed by this I used my After Effects skills and knowledge to produce a small showreel of ideas. The deliverables I produced are ideas for screensavers, ad campaigns and other brand motion collateral. Some of the outcomes produced can be seen below.


Overall, the week has made me identity a lot about my practice and my ambitions. As none of the existing designers in Smith Dawson are knowledgeable in After Effects or motion graphics I have realised that I should promote these skills more, as is is something that differentiates me from being just graphic designer. This also applies to the music side of my practice, as many people know nothing about music production.

The week also made me realise that I don't want to be a junior designer for a long period of time. Talking with a lot of the designers at Smith Dawson highlighted that freelancing is much more popular and a better form of income. My aim is to try and live off being a freelancer in the future, as  I enjoy creating ideas and being in charge of the projects I work on much more than being given snippets of jobs to contribute to. Eventually, this could lead to being a creative director or setting up my own company; however I need to build my contacts and experience in industry first before even considering this.

I got on really well with the team and can definitely see myself working in studio after University. There are only around 7 people that work at Smith Dawson which, I think, is quite nice as you get to know each person quite well. Working in Shoreditch definitely confirmed that I want to live and work in London after travelling as there are so many opportunities there and where many family and friends are. For this reason I am going to try and apply for internships and jobs at studios for start in September whilst travelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment