Wednesday, April 12, 2017

OUGD502 - Studio Brief 01 - Trip To New York






Last week I went to New York for a few days to see the sights and meet some family friends. Whilst I was there, I tried to see as much design as possible with the time I had. Some of the most prominent and relative things to my practice seen can be read below.



The last time I came to New York was when I was very young, therefore I never really appreciated the Subway signage before. The black and white contrast between type and boards made the wayfinding process very clear and straightforward. Furthermore, the colour-coded lines, similar to the London Underground, made it much easier to find out which trains to take. Using the subway frequently made me realise how simplistic wayfinding needs to be to be effective.








When in a food store in the centre of New York these crisps caught my attention, purely because of their packaging. Areas of the plastic have been left clear where the woman's glasses are, so that consumers can actually see the product. Whilst I do not do a lot of packaging design at Uni, thinking outside the box like this is one aspect that I am going to try and consider when approaching packaging briefs. It is so simple but really attention grabbing.












On the trip I managed to visit the Museum of Modern Art, where Tony Oursler's work is being displayed. He is a pioneering media artist that advocated for the debunking of fraudulent spirit mediums in the 1920s and 1930s. The exhibition therefore included a lot of old illustrated posters that focus on magicians and spirt mediums. Next year, for my dissertation, I am quite interested in analysing film posters and seeing what effect they have had on the industry. The posters seen below are definitely some that I could look into, as they had quite a interesting cultural relevance in terms of theatre that was going on at the time. This style of posters is one that I would love to possibly experiment with in a practical outcome.









Also at the gallery were a variety of other pieces of art. Some that caught my eye can be seen below.









No comments:

Post a Comment