Wednesday, September 14, 2016

OUGD502 - Studio Brief 01 - Summer Work

After Level 4 was completed I began working on some branding jobs at Bannenberg & Rowell Design. The job involved producing exterior signage and logo designs for various superyacht owners. I have previously done the exterior signage for one boat; therefore, new the rough layout of what was expected. However, the brief set this time was slightly more vague, requiring a lot more freedom on my part to play around and develop ideas.

The importance of research became clear when working on projects with such important clients. As I did not know the clients personally and had not even spoken to them, design treatment had to be based solely on the research made in relation to the yacht name and theme. Due to confidentiality, I cannot show any of the work completed. One of the logos has been accepted and will be on the exterior of the yacht, whilst the other has not been presented yet.

Working for such big clients was quite daunting and pressurising, especially as I was the only graphic designer in-house. Despite this, the process learnt on the course last year helped to time plan outcomes that were effective in the end for the client. Personally, I have found that I find briefs more enjoyable when there is a stricter brief, as I feel like I am doing the right thing as opposed to when given more freedom. This is one aspect that I need to adapt to over the coming year, so that I feel comfortable with all types of briefs thrown at me.



Alongside doing some pure branding work, I also worked on some freelance jobs, which had a complete focus on motion graphics. This was useful to keep my skills in Adobe After Effects up to date - this will be especially useful for the design on screen brief later this year, which focuses on UX design. Bringing my interest in music together with graphic design work is one aspect that I would like to continue pursuing in the future. Whilst I charge a fairly low commission for these promo videos (roughly £15-£20), they can be done within an hour/2 max, which is fairly reasonable. The main challenge that I want to set myself now is to work out how to produce 3D animations and renders, as these are much more complex and less competitive than flat motion graphics. 2 of the promo videos made can be seen below.





No comments:

Post a Comment